CPT Coding – Forever Changing.
I’ll assume if you’re reading this blog that your already somewhat familiar with CPT Codes (Current Procedural Terminology.) The first publication of the CPT Code was back in 1966 through American Medical Association (AMA). The healthcare industry has changed drastically since 1966, which in turn means that CPT Coding has changed with it. Typically on an annual basis, you can guarantee that there will be changes made to CPT Coding. Below is sample of the some of the changes to come in 2018, cited by www.aapublications.org.
Although effective July 1, the following changes will appear in the 2018 CPT Manual to indicate the vaccine schedule changes.
- 90621 Meningococcal recombinant lipoprotein vaccine, serogroup B (MenB-FHbp), 2 or 3 dose schedule, for intramuscular use
- 90651 Human Papillomavirus vaccine types 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, 58, nonavalent (9vHPV), 2 or 3 dose schedule, for intramuscular use
The following influenza vaccine codes were added to the 2018 CPT manual; CPT code 90756 took effect in January 2017.
- 90682 Influenza virus vaccine, quadrivalent (RIV4), derived from recombinant DNA, hemagglutinin (HA) protein only, preservative and antibiotic free, for intramuscular use
- 90756 Influenza virus vaccine, quadrivalent (ccIIV4), derived from cell cultures, subunit, antibiotic free, 0.5mL dosage, for intramuscular use
There are many articles pertaining to some of the CPT Code changes for 2018, so let’s review the importance of staying on top of these changes. Not being aware of these changes can be very costly.
- The billing units can fluctuate and increase. So if you’re billing the units at a cheaper price, then most likely your billing staff and/or the billing company you’ve hired will not not correct your claims until after they are denied and/or rejected by your clearinghouse.
- If the billing codes change, (new codes, replacement of codes, archived codes), you will not be reimbursed for your services and your claims will be denied due to incorrect coding.
- To make sure you’re on top of all the changes that are going on with CPT Codes, and other important changes in the industry, please be sure to stay tuned to our blogs and follow us on FaceBook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
Since 2003, STAT MedCare Solutions has been an expert in Provider Enrollment, Licensing, Rate Negotiation, and other Credentialing-related services. STAT’s mission is, “Providing Client Services on a foundation of Trust and Integrity.” We stay on top of teaching, training, and equipping to properly manage the workplace as an industry expert. STAT has submitted/renewed 250,000+ licenses, submitted more than 10,000 appeals, and renegotiated more than 3,000 contracts. STAT services practices and organizations who are startups, surviving, experiencing (rapid) growth, or maturing Enterprise clients. Contact our Sales team for a free consultation at 877-887-1784, Ext. 505
Have a Good Day from everyone at STAT!